Wildings Small Tower Clock

I had been considering building Wildings Tower Clock since I first saw it many years ago. I initially had grand plans going through my head of building a roof tower or even simply drilling through the house wall to fit the external display but we will come to that in good time. 

Whilst this build is considered a small tower clock, it is still quite large. 

The first step was to cut and assemble the frame:

Once the frame was together I decided to proceed with making the main arbor and barrel. The barrel was made out of Beech wood, and wood is specified as a suitable material for the barrel in the plans:

The next part to make was the main wheel. This was quite daunting, being cut from a 5×5″ sheet of 3/8 inch thick brass sheet. The piece of stock sheet cost £40 so it was an expensive wheel to spoil….which I inevitably did! Whilst I repaired the wheel to a satisfactory standard, I couldn`t help but be annoyed with myself for spoiling it and have since remade the wheel off camera.

It was then time to start to assemble and finish off making the main wheel, click, barrel and arbor. The next few videos show the final parts being made and the main wheel being assembled. 

With the main wheel now assembled, it was time to get it fitted to the frame:

At this stage I decided to press forward with the second wheel mounting plates. With these being flat stock, a simple rectangular brass part with a semi circle at one end, I could have happily finished them by hand and with the mill. However, I started to look forward in the plans and look at some of the other flat bar parts. Whilst it may be frounded upon by some hobby engineers, I decided to use my CNC machine to cut these parts. Having now finished these parts. I do not regret it. I had to draw them out in CAD, something I`ve limited experience with and it was great seeing my large CNC router cutting some small thick brass parts!

With the arbor bushes now cut, I was ready assembly and build the second arbor. This required the second wheel which I’d already cut previously off camera at the same time as the main wheel. I also needed the lantern pinion which used 1.2mm pinion steel. I am running desperately short of this and will need more for the other lanterns pinions required but sadly can`t currently find a source. Once the lantern pinion was assembled it was time to make the wheel arbor and depth it on the frame:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *